Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tips and trinks from someone who has no clue what they are talking about!

Oh fun fun we are doing this again!!
By this I mean I am giving advice that is probably not that good/ common sense/ unwanted/ unneeded, but ahh thus is the nature of advice in general!

First tip: I was never a pancake maker or even liker, not because I am apposed to a sort of cake that is socally acceptable to eat in the morning, because I mean come on I live for that shit! No the reason I hated pancakes is because I always sucked at making them! Not only was my first pancake a mess (I have to to the bottom of the common problem...wait for it) but the rest would be burnt or under cooked or oddly shaped (...I know thats not a huge issue but...). Any ways one day I was attempting to make pancakes for the boys an informal brunch sort of thing, and so I mixed up my batter and then got distracted...so my batter sat for about five or so minutes before I started cooking them...and by gosh the first one came out amazingly fluffy and perfect! I also keep the heat on med and re-butter between each pancake ('cuz I am a fatty). I really don't know if this is part of pancake recipes or if there is any scientific reason as to why this is effective but it does work for me! I mix up the batter let it sit for three to five minutes and then mix it again then pour into the pan and it works...no more flat saggy pancakes! 
Oh hey also add vanilla extract and a little cinnamon to your pancakes its awesome!


Next tip not just syrup tastes good on pancakes! Like a billion other things are amazing on pancakes! I never liked the real "100% pure Vermont maple syrup" (yeah I am low rent so what I like things fake and sweeeet) but that is all my mom would bye and my sister always liked it so I didn't really have anyway of winning that fight, only the option to not eat syrup. So here is a hort list of things that are so good on pancakes:
Nutella + banana + walnuts
Grilled peaches
Mixed berries + whipped cream
Jelly
Warm apples and cinnamon
Lemon curd
Honey + cream cheese
And to be a little savory and crazy
 (this all works best with pancakes that are a little less sweet, and for the love of all things cake do not add cinnamon and vanilla to them if you are doing this)
Sausage + sharp cheddar cheese
Holendaise + ham + egg
Ham + dill cream cheese

I mean the possibilitys are endless really...so why not have a pancake buffet? 
No really why not? Do it!
  
This is the recipe I normally use to make pancakes:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (you don't have to use that much)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
Mix the wet then mix in the dry....like anything else, and remember a few lumps are okay in pancake batter, let it sit for a few minutes before you make them (not more than five probably I mean there's raw eggs in there dumdum), and leave your oven at two-hundred or the warm setting with a tinfoiled pan inside so when the pancakes are done you can put them in there and all eat together when you are done cooking!

"and that's all I have to say about that"
(I love going to the 'memorable quotes' from Forest Gump on imdb and reading them to myself in his voice...is that weird?)

Ah but really that is all I have to say...BYEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment